Thursday, March 21, 2013

Working the field

This week I see why Jesus makes the comparison with telling people about Him and working a field. He uses this comparison at least three times. Once with the parable of the sower. Second the parable of the tares among wheat. Finally the harvest field. There is a progression if you think about it. The sower is laying ground work and planting seeds. I don't know about this sower but as far as my work is concerned sometimes (this sower) plants seeds with great care and sometimes there is a time for abundant sowing. This is when you meet someone and the Spirit leads you to share so you share though you don't know them. The seeds sown with great care are those that there is a deep relationship being built. Sometime the seeds land on every type of ground. However, the most abundant ground is that of rocks or even worse the thorns. This is worse because it is through the lies of their religion and cultural acceptances that they are being choked.
The second is the tares among the wheat. The parable talks about a farmer who plants good seed but an enemy comes and plants tares. Instead of taking them out and ruining his farm he allows the tares to grow with the wheat. This is where I believe most of the women I meat with are. They have a good seed planted but until the harvest is ready the seeds of the enemy are there. However, when the harvest time comes they are ready.
Only God determines the harvest time for each person; only He is able to take away the thorns and seeds of lies and deception. He is the one to open their eyes and when He does there will be a great harvest here. I was called to be a worker in this harvest. Did I think it would be easier work? Yes. I thought I would be part of the reaping. Does this make me question my calling here? NO! I have learned more of what it means to be these other farmers. Farmers are hard workers who put a lot of effort into their jobs. It is not easy work; it is very hard work! There is a long waiting period for them to reap what they have sown. It is not my harvest but God's. That is the big difference! I am nothing but His laborer.

No comments:

Post a Comment